Friday, December 26, 2008

Backing up Your photos


This is going be a quick guide on backing up those important photos. You invest a lot of money and time into your gear, and into your photos, why not invest a little money and a little time into keeping your photos safe? I don't really do as much as I should. I just have simple WD 250 USB external drive, and some DVD's.

The first thing I want to talk about is how often I back up. Every 3 months I do a quick copy to my External off all the new photos. (or if I shoot something important I'll back it up that day). Then every six months I'll copy all the new files onto my external., and burn everything to DVD's. After that I delete them off my computer, to free up space for the next six months. I am a bit of a worrier and I would hate to lose my photos, so it surprises me that that's all I do. I am in the process of helping my friend build a server (telling him how) and in exchange hes going to let me put a drive in it and use it. Offsite storage is very imporant. I am also planning on getting another external a much smaller one, one of the pocket hdds that I could keep in my bag. That wraps it up basically. Every six months I create a new light room catolog and delete the old one.

No comments: